Established in 1805 near the confluence of the Missouri River and the Mississippi River, Belle Fontaine was the first U.S. military post located in the newly acquired Louisiana Territory. It served as a “factory” or trading post for local Sac, Fox and other American Indian tribes. The Lewis and Clark Corps of discovery stayed at the site on September 22, 1806, the night before their triumphant return to St. Louis.
Situated in what used to be the prairie belt of St. Louis County, the old 30 acre agricultural plot again consists of prairie grasses and wildflowers.
Fort Belle Fontaine Park
13002 Bellefontaine Rd
St. Louis, MO 63138